Saturday, June 23, 2007

Disable annoying computer beep

My work laptop would emit loud beeps occasionally when I hit the wrong button, performed an invalid action, or maybe just looked at it funny.  No volume controls could disable the beep, as it came from an internal speaker.  The beep is very loud and quite disturbing, and prompts many dirty looks from co-workers.  After some web sleuthing, I found a couple of commands that would stop and permanently disable the computer beep:

net stop beep

sc config beep start= disabled

Enter these two commands exactly into a command prompt.  Don't forget the space after the "=", it won't work without it.

The first command will stop the BEEP service, which is the Windows service responsible for constantly annoying me.  The second command disables the service completely, and will prevent it from starting up the next time you turn on your computer.  Now you can live happily beep-free, and your co-workers will thank you for it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks, i just eliminated my beep, and won't be missing it.

Anonymous said...

This only stops it till the next reboot, is there a permanent fix?

Jimmy Bogard said...

@anonymous (2)

That second command disables the service altogether. It shouldn't come back. Also, executing the second command should give you a "success" message.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

My ear drums thank you a million times over!!

Anonymous said...

thanks this actually works, shouldn't you add a way to enable it again?

Anarith

Jimmy Bogard said...

@Anarith

Wow, that's the first time anyone's asked that. What, do you have a coworker you want to annoy? :)

I actually don't know how to re-enable it...

Anonymous said...

To re-enable the beep service, type the following in a command prompt:

sc config beep start= auto
net start beep

Note that this is boot-permanent; it will still be enabled after a reboot. Running the original two commands will disable it again.

If you only want to disable the beep for the current session, just use "net stop beep". This will stop the beep for the session, but it will be enabled again after rebooting.

Anonymous said...

I have been battling this beep problem on my HP running Vista Home edition for several months to no avail.

When I run the 1st command I get:
"The Beep service is not started"

The 2nd command: "[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS"

Both commands are keyed as Administrator. The 1st does nothing. The second stops the beep only after a restart but the beep ALWAYS comes back (i.e. I leave my computer on and connected to the internet when I am gone only to find the beep has re-started when I return).

I am beginning to think the only answer is to replace this computer that I paid $1,100 for less than 1.5 yrs ago.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Unknown said...

i cannot thank you enough for this. i was going nuts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

Kudos, job well done!

EnoNomi said...

Thank you, you've saved my eardrums.

Hedley said...

Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

boilersrock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

Been trying to stop the beep that comes with warning messages in Crystal Reports forever - thank you!